Welcome to the Division of Family Medicine at UC San Diego!The Division of Family Medicine (DFM) at UCSD has two missions:
- to educate and train tomorrows family doctors....Your Doctors!
- to continually improve the practice of family medicine and primary care by building the 21st Century Patient Centered Medical Home
About the Division
The Division of Family Medicine (DFM) at UCSD is a robust group of 50 faculty and fellows, 60 residents and ~75 staff. As an academic administrative unit in the Medical School, we have four essential missions:
- we work to make the clinical practice of family medicine better
- we train tomorrow's physicians and, more specifically, tomorrow's family docs
- we serve our community by improving its health
- we conduct research to improve the cost-effectiveness, reach and impact of all our work
- Family Medicine Residency For the fifth straight year, the number of medical students choosing Family Medicine was higher than the previous year (see this link for more information from the AAFP). The UCSD Family Medicine Residency had a record breaking number of applicants to the program this year and is extremely pleased with the excellent class of interns that will be joining the program.
- Combined Residency The UCSD Combined Family Medicine & Psychiatry Residency program had an incredible number of very competitive applicants to the program this year. The Residency leadership is thrilled with the two new interns that will be joining the program in July.
Check out the concussion work done by Dave Bazzo, sports medicine faculty, highlighted in recent UCSD press release: Physician Scores New Program to Teach Young Athletes about Concussions
- Dr. Kenneth Taylor and Dr. Suraj Achar are San Diego Sockers team physicians. UCSD night is on February 1, 2014 with UCSD employee discount tickets.
- Listen to Dr. Sheldon Morris talk about STD rates in San Diego on PBS.